fauxklore: (Default)
[personal profile] fauxklore
I still owe you an update on the Stafford challenge, but I want to write about the National Puzzlers' League convention while things are somewhat fresh in my mind. It’s hard to believe that this was the 17th consecutive year that I’ve gone to the NPL con. It is always amazing to be together with other people who are as passionate as I am about something most people think is kind of odd. And I continue to be awed by the creativity of NPLers.

This year’s con was in Bloomington, Indiana. I leveraged off that to make another attempt at going to a baseball game in Indianapolis. My previous attempt at seeing the Indianapolis Indians at Victory Field had been thwarted by rain, but the weather did cooperate this time. I did have a bit of a flight issue on Tuesday, with a delay on the regional jet from IAD to IND (cascading delays due to an early morning mechanical issue), complicated by having a long wait for a ramp crew to tow us the last several yards to the gate. But I still had plenty of time to take the bus to downtown and check into the SpringHill Suites before going to the game. (There are several Marriott branded hotels in a cluster just north of the ballpark, which is only about a 5 minute walk away.)

As for the ballpark, it’s nice enough, with a large picnic area near the outfield. The concessions are pretty weak, however, which is typical of most minor league parks. It was Irish Heritage night, but that pretty much meant only a brief walk around by a bagpipe band, a table where Aer Lingus was handing out little green rubber airplanes, and a group of young girls from an Irish dancing school performing on top of the dugouts in the middle of one inning.

IMG_6597

IMG_6542

IMG_6546

The Indians beat the Toledo Mud Hens 9 to 3, for what it’s worth. And I’ve now been to 11 1/2 of the 30 AAA ballparks. (The half is because I watched a major league game at Sutter Health Park in Sacramento, not the Sacramento River Cats.)

I had time on Wednesday morning to take a short walk around the area. In particular, I wanted to see some brass sculptures by Tom Otherness, an artist I was introduced to by a former colleague who was writing a paper about him for a night class she was taking.

These are right by the Convention Center.

IMG_6550

IMG_6553

Here is just a glimpse of the State House.

IMG_6554

And here is the Eiteljorg Museum, with a group of deer statues in front. (I visited this museum with friends many years ago, probably on my first visit to Indianapolis for a Halloween party put on by my evil twin, Holly.)

IMG_6555

I went back to the hotel, checked out, and took a Lyft back to the airport, where I got the shuttle to Bloomington. Several other NPLers were on the same shuttle. When we got to Indiana University, we checked into the Biddle Hotel, which is physically part of the Indiana Memorial Union (IMU) building. The room was adequate, though the air conditioning was not easily adjustable and I ended up fiddling with it for the entire time I was there. After unpacking and relaxing for a little while, I wandered down to the Solarium, where the Wednesday night picnic was being held. It was a longish walk to the Solarium and Alumni Hall, where most of the con events were being held. That meant that I was reluctant to go back to my room to drop off or pick things up throughout the day. The picnic food was pretty good but, of course, the real pleasure was in seeing people who, in general, I only see once a year. (There are some I see on line, but one cannot exchange hugs over zoom.) By the way, I should mention that NPL members generally use their noms, rather than their real names, at con and I will continue to refer to them that way in this write-up.

After the picnic, I did a mini-ganza (that is, a short version of an extravaganza) with a group of three other people. It was called The Dining and was written by WXYZ and Whimsy. The theme had to do with a group of girl scouts who had supernatural things happen at a diner. The puzzles were interesting and the final result was satisfying, so it was a good way to end the day.

I started Thursday by going out to breakfast at Uptown Cafe with Gotcha. The food (a vegetarian version of a Denver omelet, in my case) was good and the conversation was better. We came back to the hotel and, a little while later, I walked over to the Lilly Library to play with the Slocum collection. Jerry Slocum (who is 95 years old and did come to the con) put together a large collection of mechanical puzzles and we had the opportunity to sign up for slots of time to play with them. I started out by doing a puzzle that involved putting pieces together to form a glass full of whiskey on ice. It wasn’t too hard to figure out how to do it, but it needed a second person to hold things in place while all the pieces were being assembled.

IMG_6559

We also spent a little time working on a puzzle that involved putting together plastic pieces to form a custard cake, but I didn’t take a picture of that one.

I wasn’t hungry for lunch, so I walked over to the Sidney and Lois Eskanazi Museum of Art. They have a large art collection, but the exhibits I was particularly interested in were mostly (but not entirely) centered on textiles.

I was very proud of myself for immediately recognizing that this piece was by the Ghanaian artist El Anatsui, whose work I had first seen at the High Museum in Atlanta. His sculptures are made from pieces of aluminum held together with wire, giving them the flexibility of fabric.

IMG_6561

This brought back memories of my trip to Ghana, where we visited the coffin makers in Accra.

IMG_6562

There were several examples of Fulani textiles from Mali and thereabouts.

IMG_6564

The other textile exhibit I went to there was titled Fashioned by Women: Indonesian Clothing.

IMG_6567

IMG_6568

IMG_6570

IMG_6572

I did meander around the rest of the Art of Africa, Oceania and Indigenous Art of the Americas collection, before stopping in their cafe to refresh my blood caffeine level and eat a blueberry muffin. Then I went back to the Lilly Library, where we got to see part of the library’s Special Collections. There were a lot of amazing things to look at - old books, maps, and all sorts of object.

For example, here’s a 15th century pattern book of an Italian craftsman.

IMG_6573

This is Rita Hayworth’s make-up case.

IMG_6575

I love artist books. This is Color by Timothy C. Ely.

IMG_6576

Here’s a collection of miniature books.

IMG_6577

This are the first appearances of Spiderman and of the Avengers. I’m more of a DC Comics gal, but this is still cool.

IMG_6579

I was supposed to go out to dinner with a group, but I decided I needed a good nap more than a fancy meal. So I slept for a couple of hours and grabbed a reasonably good slice of pizza at a place in the IMU food court before the official program began on Thursday evening.

The first game was Climb For Season by Kryptogram and involved creating rhymes for words that would lead to a category. It was fun but I did get a couple of words that are nearly impossible to rhyme, e.g. “h”.

Willz had a game based on one by Ken Jennings (Kennections) that involved figuring out what answers to 5 clues had in common. We did well on some, but went completely astray on others.

Finally, CarpeDiem and I did very badly at Zeroing In by WXYZ, which involved guessing the range of numbers the answers to various trivia questions would fit into.

Then the over-the-weekend critic crosswords were handed out. There was a newish solver who had said he would solve one with me, but we never managed to reconnect. Apparently he believes in something called sleep.

I finished off the evening with a group of us solving a folktale themed mini-ganza (called Two Sides to Every Story) by Rubrik and Trazom. Each of the puzzles presented a story from two perspectives, e.g. Robin Hood and the Sheriff of Nottingham. This was right up my alley and I found it very enjoyable.

On Friday morning, I got a quick breakfast (a spinach pastry and coffee) at Sugar & Spice in the IMU building. Then I went back to the Lilly Library to play with more puzzles. Meet Woodrow, the giant wooden robot, which I worked on with Bookworm and another person (a first timer) whose nom I don’t know. Sorry for this picture being a bit blurry.

IMG_6587

Woodrow was specially commissioned by Jerry Slocum and the first challenge is taking him apart. Basically, you have to move certain parts of him to enable you to move other parts and slide things apart. Eventually, we were left with this assortment of body parts.

IMG_6589

The catch is that we then had to put him back together. This was even more challenging than disassembly had been. Most of the library staff didn’t know what to do either! We were joined by another person (whose nom I missed) and were eventually successful. But, overall, we spent nearly two hours on the whole thing.

After that I listened to Elf (and another lexicographer, Pandatron) talk about Noah Webster. I also stopped by the room with the display of miniature books and took more pictures of those.

IMG_6592

Then I went back to the hotel and pair-solved one of the con cryptics (Hosiers by Trazom) with Clio. We got through it reasonably quickly. Then I went over to the hospitality suite to grab a quick snack (Joey had been unable to attend, but had sent some Tim Tams, which I consider the height of Australian cuisine) and started pair-solving another of the cryptics with Endgame.

There was an okay Mexican themed buffet for dinner. The official program started with an absolutely brilliant wordplay game by Qaqaq. There were six trivia questions in each round and the answers to the last three were an anagram of the answers to the first three. I worked on this with Gotcha and our knowledge bases were different enough that we did reasonably well. I am still absolutely in awe of how well put together this was.

Next was Anti-Anti Match Game by Squonk. He runs his Anti-Match Games a few times a year, themed to the various award shows (Oscars, Emmys, Grammys) and the goal is to find correct answers to trivia questions that other people won’t choose. In this case, you had to find the second most popular correct answers. I think I played that one with Lady Mondegreen and her husband Earl Grey and possibly someone else. (Things get to be a blur after a while). We didn’t do remarkably well at it.

The official program ended with Three of a Kind by Bluff. He’s run this several times before and you have to guess what the category is, with more points the earlier you guess it. You also get points if you correctly guess the second and/or third words.

As for after hours, I managed to get in on Noam’s Jeopardy game. He always has an excellent variety of topics, which makes things more fun for people like me who are pop culture illiterate but good at things like geography and literature. Before that, Famulus ran a pop culture team trivia game. Noam’s Jeopardy was much more in my wheelhouse. I particularly liked his Scotland category in which I correctly got an answer that he said nobody else had ever gotten. I was also the only person who got his final Jeopardy correct, but Famulus had built up a strong lead early in the game so I didn’t win.

Saturday breakfast was part of the con package and was, frankly, dreadful. At least I learned the trick to getting the coffee urn to dispense coffee properly. I expect any coffee away from home to be mediocre at best (though useful for medicinal purposes), but it should at least flow freely, not trickle out. The conversation is always, of course, better than the food.

The business meeting was pretty routine. The major thing to pay attention to there is the presentations for future cons. (The actual voting was done on-line afterwards. I had some issues with discord, but got things resolved enough to vote.) The results were announced on Sunday and 2028 will be in Albuquerque, which makes me happy. (Next year is in Philadelphia which is, of course, very convenient for me. And I have a couple of ideas for possible puzzles to write for it.)

Lunch (sandwiches and salad) was better than breakfast had been. There was time to start the last of the con cryptics with Gotcha, though we didn’t manage to finish it. (Alas, I didn’t manage to connect with Endgame to finish the one I’d started with him.) I’ll get around to finishing solving them sooner or later. Or so I say, ignoring the existence of a couple of boxes of unfinished puzzles in my house.

As for the afternoon, I continued working on the third con cryptic with Gotcha. The afternoon official puzzles started with Which One Don’t Belong? by Willz, in which there were four words and you had to find two ways that three of the four were connected. Unfortunately, one of the answers was incorrect because, apparently, he doesn’t shop at the same sort of supermarkets I do and was unfamiliar with the existence of Malta, a common beverage that, while most popular in Latin America, is widely available in pretty much every store in the DMV (that is what we call DC, Maryland, and Virginia and has nothing to do with motor vehicles), Germany, Iceland, and the UK.

That was followed by Two of a Kind by Murdoch, in which you had to fill in missing letters in 7 letter words to make two distinct words. I didn’t quite finish it in time, but that’s one in the stack of things to finish when I have time.

Flats are a type of puzzle involving wordplay which are a big thing in the NPL and take up a lot of the monthly publication, The Enigma. I never do the flats competition, because I only really understand a few types of flats and they’re not the sort of thing I can enjoy doing quickly. Tyger had asked for help with the competition and I agreed to help out, in lieu of taking a nap. There wasn’t really a lot for me to do, but she thought it was useful to assuage her anxiety over running it for the first time. (Gotcha also helped out, and helped grading.)

After dinner (okay pasta and salad) and the Golden Sphinx Awards presentations (of which the notable part is that Fraz won the well-deserved Maso memorial award for service to the NPL, I played the Taskmaster Board Game (run by Squonk). I teamed with La Do La Li/Ti. I mostly enjoyed the game, but I was also reminded that I’m not always great at being creative on demand. (Which is interesting to me because I do think of myself as being a very creative person, in general.)

Saturday night is always devoted to the Extravaganza and this year’s was written by Evv and Nominal and named BloomingCon SWAG. I was on a Stroller team with arcbat, Brigand, and Gotcha. We did reasonably well at working our way through the puzzles, taking advantage of the hint system when we needed to. Each round ended with our collecting swag, mostly consisting of little plastic doohickeys. There were several very clever puzzles. My favorite was Schoonerisms, which involved a pirate story full of spoonerisms. We did need some help here and there and it took us past 1 a.m., but we did finish. And we got fabulous swag bags as a reward.

IMG_6598

The final day of con was Sunday. Breakfast that morning was somewhat better than Saturday had been. There were awards given out for the weekend contests. I went back up to my room to finish packing and to check out. I wasn’t leaving until the afternoon, so pretty much hung out in the hotel lobby catching up on some on-line reading and working more on some puzzles. The shuttle back to the Indianapolis airport worked fine and there were lots of NPL folks at the airport (though no others on my flight home). There were no issues getting to IAD and just the typical annoying wait for the metro (about ten minutes each for the Silver and Orange line trains).


I’m looking forward to next year (July 8-11th) in Philadelphia!

Date: 2026-07-23 01:58 pm (UTC)
kerk_hiraeth: Me and Unidoggy Edinburgh Pride 2015 (Default)
From: [personal profile] kerk_hiraeth
Just been doing a bit of browsing, so this will come out of nowhere but, since I came across this post and spotted the baseball field and spotted the name of the teams...

Didn't the Mud Hens get a mention in a movie once?

It's going to bug me until I figure it out :-)

kerk

Date: 2026-07-23 07:40 pm (UTC)
kerk_hiraeth: Me and Unidoggy Edinburgh Pride 2015 (Default)
From: [personal profile] kerk_hiraeth
Klinger!

Of course, no wonder I couldn't remember the movie :-)

Thank you,

kerk

Date: 2026-07-23 04:02 pm (UTC)
springheel_jack: (Default)
From: [personal profile] springheel_jack
I was scrolling quickly and I was like wait, that looks like Indianapolis.

All the puzzles sound tiring to me, but I know all the places in this post very well indeed.

Date: 2026-07-24 12:57 am (UTC)
springheel_jack: (Default)
From: [personal profile] springheel_jack
I love bloomington.

Profile

fauxklore: (Default)
fauxklore

July 2026

S M T W T F S
   1234
5 67891011
121314 15 161718
1920 21 22232425
262728293031 

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Jul. 26th, 2026 12:37 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios